shrink wrap it

From: Vlad (vlad_at_vlad.net)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 20:19:28 EST

> There's a binary kernel for vserver? well i'll just compile my own, if I
> decide that vserver is the best for me :-)
> ease of use, isn't enough, if it doesn't have the necessary features.
> freevsd comes with some webpage management utilities. sounds pretty
> nice.

Why is it that every few months people troll up from out of nowhere and
expect a full comparison of features between two projects. At $80/box you
can go to Best Buy and compare Mandrake and Redhat. However on a free
mailing list, especially for a project provided free of charge, it makes
for little common sense to show up and start insulting the users and
developers of this code.

For the record, vserver has the most documentation you will find for a
project of this caliber and is very straight forward. There is a detailed
installation doc on the web page
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc?s1=4&s2=0&s3=0&s4=0&full=0&prjstate=1&nodoc=0

Now on to flaming:

Part of dealing with open source projects is doing the research and
figuring things out on your own. Perhaps thats why its not in a shrink
wrapped box with a choice of 8 different GUI's to hold your hand. It
involves research, debugging, and even writing code on your own. Tradeoff
is hiring an incompetent consultant or Microsoft, pick your poison. If you
expect free help I suggest you ask for it with plenty of detail and
outmost respect for the people that you're expecting assistance from.
Derogatory comments about development progress or inconvenient mailing
list are not a good way to ask for help. Half-assed questions about lids
and "standard kernel" just show you didn't even bother to look at the
homepage; If you did you'd notice that there is a changelog page: 10
updates in 3 months.

and further sarcasm:

I think the real problem here is that the project web page doesn't have
enough pictures or blinking "NEW" buttons. Reading turns everyone off, and
just like back in high school, its easier to just find someone that has
read the book already that can summarize it than for you to actually put
in some effort. Damn words, they are everywhere!