Re: Vserver is cool but too dependent on the distribution

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 10:55:04 EST

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 21:24:01 -0500, Christian wrote
> > Ok, this is enough to get me going. I will produce a debian aware
> vserver
> > package later this week and we will see what it does.
> >

> Before You start to fix vserver for any single distribution, I will assist
> u in making a generic autoconf-package (as i allready started). Of course
> it will need distro-specific stuff, but having it autodetected is much
> nicer.

Yes and no. I would like /usr/sbin/vserver to be dynamicly compatible with most
distro out there. Nothing prevent you from running debian inside redhat or the
reverse and I would like the vserver project to cope with that.

If we solve the /sbin/init stuff, then this will be even more transparent. We will
fire /sbin/init and it will take care of its own stuff. For sure, when we build a vserver
we will have to taylor /etc/inittab, at least to remove unneeded things such
as the initial startup (rc.sysinit in redhat) and also the mingetty on the vconsole.

If you think autoconf may help there, please send me proposition, patch, whatever
you think is useful. Send it to the list as well, so other can jump on it :-)

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc