Vserver is cool but too dependent on the distribution

From: Luc Stepniewski (luc.stepniewski_at_c2a.fr)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 04:03:31 EST

Hello,

I'm using vserver since the version 0.5, and I find it really cool. But
I noticed a trend in the development, where more and more dependencies
are introduced on the distribution.
If you don't have a RPM based system, vbuild will not work at all. These
dependencies are hard coded in the C files. The init scripts are using
/etc/rc.d/init.d. This path is being obsoleted, even under the latest
Redhats based systems.

I made a port of vserver for Debian, and modified the vserver build part
to use the pbuilder package from debian to extract a fresh new
filesystem. I recoded the vbuild C program in python (much easier to
maintain, it takes just 122 lines of code, with comments :-).

If I'm allowed to, I'll post the files/patches here, as soon as I have
it cleaned a little.

Luc Stepniewski

--
Luc Stepniewski <lstep_at_adequat.net> <http://lstep.free.fr/>