Re: [vserver] Problem in a Vserver with multiple IP's

From: Jean-Philippe Beique (jpbeique_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 01:23:41 EDT

First of all i would just thanks all the coder of vserver and everybody that
are participating in this project.
Without you i would pay over thousand of dollars to start a company wich is
simply impossible at the moment.

We are using vserver for multiple thing such as apache webhosting, shoutcast
streaming, ffmpeg audio-video streaming and internet realy chat services.
The reason that i am writing this super long email and carefully writed
(because i'm not that excellent in english) is because we have a bug with
the vserver.
I would be very happy if anybody in the mailing list can try what we are
doing and give us maybe a solution to our nightmare.

The vserver in the cvs talk about multi-ip capability wich is very very
good. Now that we know that the multi-ip is disponible, we patch the vserver
and
try to run our services on the vserver. There is a few things that we cannot
resolved to work. When we are launching a background that use another ip
that the first ip listed in the iproot
we got a few error (cannot connect,using another ip).To solve the problem we
made the ip public to every vserver on the main server -- iproot=* (*=all)
By this way anybody can run services in the vserver but we cannot restrict
access to the ip so this is our first problem. (the type of service that we
run doesn't work with your patch). Second problem that we got
is that the server cannot run identd services on multiple vserver. How can
we made it run more than once... When we try to launch a identd server on a
vserver there is no problem with this vserver all the user can
identify themself with identd but other vserver cannot because it cannot
start more than one identd server at the time on all the server wich is
particularly bad for our company.So to resume... technically way it look
like that

--------------------------------- technical part----------
To make you in the context
I got a Root server with 120 real IPS Accessible from the internet From
207.X.X.1 To 207.X.X.120 ( eth0 to eth0:120 )

I need each vserver to have 16 IPS so i set in one vserver:
IPROOT="207.X.X.1 207.X.X.2 207.X.X.2 207.X.X.3 207.X.X.4"

But with this configuration some application do not work correctly

For exemple
-1 eggdrop can only be start on the first IP on the list and i try to start
eggdrop on another IP the eggdrop do not start at all
- 2 psybnc can only use the first ips on the list for vhost

The only whay i found for those application to work correctely is to set in
a vserver
IPROOT=

but with IPROOT=
vserver can use all IPS of the ROOT SERVER and 2 vserver can use and share
the same IPS

i very nned to limit acess to ip in a vserver and support for eggdrop and
bnc
--------------------------------technical part end---------

Anyone got an configuration file exemple for v_xxx pseudo services support
multi-IP configuration file ?

I try to bind identd deamon on 10 IP from x.x.x.97 to x.x.x.107
i make my own script v_identd and configiration file identd.conf
in /etc/vservices/inetd.conf

got this error
VSERVER:/etc/init.d# ./v_inetd restart
ipv4root is now X.X.1.97
Can't exec X.X.1.98 (No such file or directory)

Anyone can send me an exemple of configuration file plz

also anyone got eggdrop and bnc working in a vserver with multiIps
if i put IPROOT="x.x.x.1 x.x.x.2 x.x.x.3" eggdrop and bnc can only start
from
the first ip ont he list

i got to set to IPROOT=0.0.0.0 for eggdrop and bnc to work but i this case
user
of a vserver can use all the ips of the root server :(

Thank you for reading and god bless vserver staff

waiting for any comments or an answer, Jean-Philippe Béïque, Director of
Electronic Box Comm www.eboxw.net