Re: [vserver] upgrades with unification]

From: Jon Bendtsen (jon+vserver_at_silicide.dk)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 03:39:15 EDT

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 09:31:04PM +0200, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> > > Cathy Sarisky wrote:

> > I dont use unification...
> > But isnt it just a hardlink ?? If you replace the hardlink in the root
> > server, doesnt it affect all the vservers ??
>
> unification is a little more than just a hardlink.
> it is a hardlink with additional immuteability
> (except for removal ;) which means, you would not
> be able to _change_ the file/link in the root server
> until you remove the immutable flag or the file.

even the root server has to do this ?? I thought the immutable flag
was only used in the vservers.

> > If not, you could possibly upgrade the root server, and then, in the
> > root server, run a script,
> > that unlinks (read rm's) the link, and redoes the link again as a
> > hardlink for all the files in all the vservers.
>
> this is, in a special way, what vunify does ...
> (except that it requires the package to be installed
> in all unified servers ...)

okay, i dont use it, as i consider disk space cheap, and
the extra trouble handling a unified file system just
add's even more against using it.
(then again, i'm only running vservers for myself, so i
only have a few vservers, not 49037823923 like an ISP
would have.

> maybe it would be a good idea to add the vunify
> functionality to the vrpm script as an option?

Well, what about debian ? and slackware ?

JonB