RE: [vserver] vserver vs. freevsd

From: John Lyons (support_at_nsnoc.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 06:14:27 EST

> I'm looking for a secure environment to run 1 virtual server,
> on 1 real
> machine - for the purpose of protecting the machine against
> dumb users, hacked services and so forth.

Vserver is THE solution not freevsd.

> vserver requires a kernel patch. freevsd doesn't. I'm
> unfortunately not clever enough to figure out, if that means that freevsd
is less safe
> than vserver, or if vserver is just troublesome as it can't use the
> standard kernel.

OK, if you're not experienced enough to patch the kernel forget FreeVSD. The
mailing list for freevsd is full of people trying to install, configure and
use it who are having all sorts of problems.

My advice to you would be to try the binary kernel first.
I found that it didn't have the network driver loaded that I wanted and I
didn't want to load it as a module. In Dec 2001 I'd never built a kernel but
within an hour of starting I'd patched the kernel, built it, installed
vserver and was well on my way to getting my first vserver running.

In short.. (Change kernel versions etc to suit. I assume you can find the
kernel source, www.google.com :-))

mv linux-2.4.17.tar.gz /usr/src/
cd /usr/src
tar xvzf linux-2.4.17.tar.gz
ln -s linux-2.4.17 linux

patch -p0 < patch-2.4.17ctx-5

cd linux
make mrproper menuconfig
make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install install

There are several tutorials on this eg
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue68/ghosh.html

Stick with vserver it beats freevsd hands down for ease of use.

Regards

John Lyons
DomainCity
http://www.domaincity.co.uk