RE: [vserver] vserver vs. freevsd

From: Dave (freevsd_at_comm.it)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 06:11:55 EST

> vserver requires a kernel patch. freevsd doesn't. I'm unfortunately not
> clever enough to figure out, if that means that freevsd is less safe
> than vserver, or if vserver is just troublesome as it can't use the
> standard kernel.

I'm a former FreeVSD developer, and all I can say is stay away from it. The
company that was supporting the project has decided to close the source and
to release it as a commercial product. There have been very few updates in
the last year.

Also, freevsd does require a lot of patches in the standard library and the
basic administration tools (fileutils) and is much harder to maintain than
what I've seen on vserver. Also, vserver is much more secure and flexible
than freevsd from what I've seen till now.

I'm currently working on a new project which will take the best of the two
worlds, but there won't be anything to play with for a few weeks from now.
Till then, i'd use vserver if I had to start from scratch.

Dave.