re: [useradd] Adding user fails in vserver

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 11:01:15 EST

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:10:17 -0500, Thomas Preissler wrote
> Hello,
>
> I just figured out, that adding a user with "useradd <username>"
> fails with "useradd: cannot rewrite password file".
>
> vs1:~ # lsattr /etc/passwd
> ------------ /etc/passwd
>
> Is this already known and how do I avoid this?

First time I hear this. I HAS to work.

What are you getting if you do

        /usr/lib/vserver/showattr /vserver/name/etc/passwd

normally, there should not be any extended attribute on this file. It should
print 00000000. Note that showattr is simply a stripped down lsattr
We have added one new extended attribute and the stock lsattr does not
show it. showattr simply dumps the bits.

I just tried it on a unified rh7.2 and mdk8.1 vserver and both are working.
Which distribution is this ? version ?

I assume this vserver is unified. Send me (as an attachement) the output
of the following command

        rpm -qf /etc/passwd --dump

Normally, this file should be duplicated when you create a vserver. So each
vserver should be able to use whatever tool it wants to maintain it.

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc