Re: [vserver] DNS resolving problems in vserver

From: Lyn St George (lyn_at_zolotek.net)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 16:02:35 EDT

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:08:08 +0000, Johnny Carlsen wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 12:01:06 +0000
>"Lyn St George" <lyn_at_zolotek.net> wrote:
>
>> Not yet, but I really need to as I have a similar problem. For me
>> it happens with all vservers bar one, and my eyes are hanging
>> out trying to see any difference between them. All *conf files
>> have the default: S_FLAGS="lock nproc" and S_CAPS empty.
>
>It seems that the flags and caps aren't the problem then, I better look
>elsewhere.
>
>This is my first vserver ever, so I unfortunateky have no working
>configuration to compare with.
>
>> The faulty vservers are also difficult to contact - eg httpd,
>> sendmail, fptd all take a long time to respond. I would suspect
>> routing problems except that they all seem to have the same style of
>> configuration.
>
>This happens in many server programs if they are unable to
>resolve the ip of the incomming connection - the server will hang til
>the reverse lookup times out.
>
>If you get dns resolvs working, then I think the problem you have with
>delays will be solved as well.

Well the answer to this is quite bizarre. The only thing different
about the test vserver was that it did not have a domain name.
Adding a domain name to its *conf immediately caused this
vserver to exhibit the same faults as the other ones. Removing
the domain name again let it operate properly. Removing the
domain names from the *conf files for all the other vservers
immediately let them spring into life also.

I can't believe that this is a real solution - it must be a sympton
of some other problem. Question is, what??

>> How have you set up your routes? Eg, "IPROOTDEV=eth0", or
>> have you kept the routes in the main server instead?
>
>My IPROOTDEV is eth0 - and this does not seem to be the problems since
>"pings" and other non-hostname network activity works just fine.
>
>Regards,
> - Johnny Carlsen

-
Cheers