Re: [vserver] Vserver Problem

From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 19:36:42 EDT

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 shuri_at_linuxfriends.wox.org wrote:

> > Perhaps if you could give some more information about your setup
>
> OK first The vserver got 16 Real IPS form X.X.X.1 to X.X.X.17
> -Starting Psybnc on any IP Is working

For those as confused as me, according to the web:

  ``[...] bnc is short for a 'bouncer.' A bnc acts as a proxy for irc,
  allowing you to hide your real IP address and use a vhost
  (vanity host - something like 'this.is.a.l33t.vhost.com')''

Hmm, what a good use of precious IP address space (!)...

> Listening on: X.X.X.15 port 31337
> -Connecting to Psybnc on X.X.X.15 port 31337 Is also working
>
> but on irc when i dns the user connect on this psybnc
> the resolv is the first IP of the verver X.X.X.1 and not X.X.X.15

This is the server-side (proxy) port that it is listening on for the
incoming connection from your IRC client.

> it supposed to resolv to the same ip the bnc is listening to

There will be another to set the IP that it originates outgoing connection
to the IRC server from (does it call this the `vhost'?), at the moment it's
just using the default one. Read the config file/manual for how to set
this.

> about eggdrops

Now I have actually heard of Eggdrop ;-). For other people:

  ``Eggdrop is the world's most popular Open Source IRC bot, designed for
  flexibility and ease of use, and is freely distributable''

> on the same vserver eggdrops can only be start on the first ips of the
> virtal X.X.X.1 if i try with other ips for example ( set my-ip
> "X.X.X.13." ) the eggdrop start but no process is running

I don't use it myself, but most references to using `set my-ip' are shown in
conjuction with `set my-hostname'--do you need to set this.

Can you turn on debugging output? Can you grep the source files to find the
actual code that is generating that particular error-message/ exit-path?

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB