Re: vserver on NFS (was Re: [vserver] Cookbook Vservers

From: Fran Firman (fran_at_netgate.net.nz)
Date: Sun May 12 2002 - 16:44:35 EDT

> not that bad, but not good enough. This is one big file,
> depending on the service type, you have lots of small files,
> or has to do pretty random access. I would asume the startup
> overhead of getting the first few bytes over NFS is much
> higher than from the disk. But perhaps the added benefit of
> a single backup place and the ease of moving a vserver to
> another host makes running vservers on NFS the best solution.

It was mainly the being able to move vservers around that was the
biggest advantage.

But for times when a program wants to create some temp file on /tmp, is
why I created a local /tmp for the vserver.

Also I noticed, that with IDE, even with dma on , if you hit the HD
hard, the cpu usage is quite high, where even maxing a 100M link doesn't
seem to bother the CPU much.

> It has made me rethink an old idea I had myself. My idea was
> to create bootable cd images useable for turning any linux
> installation into a vserver, to try it out. Possibly this
> could be coupled with your idea, so one could get a really
> fast deployment.

We are thinking along the same idea as well.

An even quicker deployment (assuming that each pc is the same hardware),
would be a tftp boot option... ????

Thou then do lose the advantage of the /tmp on the local HD.

Fran.