Re: [vserver] vserver help

From: Vlad (vlad_at_vlad.net)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 01:49:50 EST

> I installed the kernel-2.4.17ctx-7.tar.gz exactly as in the documenation,
> which seems to work fine, but lilo still wants to boot the original kernel
> first, so I always have to select the 2.4.17 kernel when booting, how can I
> get the 2.4.17 to boot first?

edit your /etc/lilo.conf and make vserver the default; ie

default = linux-virtual
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17ctx-7
        label=linux-virtual
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1

then just run lilo and it will place a star next to the default kernel I
believe.

> Was I supposed to patch the kernel? Or was the one I downloaded already
> patched? Are the patches for people that wish to patch their own kernel, and
> not use the one distributed? I'm just curious, since I never build a kernel
> from scratch, or even patched one.

You don't have to patch the kernel, you can use the one you downloaded
from the web site. It is already patched and compiled for you. If you want
to enable some special things then you have to download the kernel source
and patch it with the supplied patches. They are all available at the
project web site.

-Vlad