Re: [vserver] RE: Performance, memory, etc

From: Christian (chth_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 14:33:14 EST

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 22:09:53 -0500
Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca> wrote:

> Someone post a patch I have to review about this btw. Sorry, I am very
> late but I really wanted to fix some security issues first as vservers
> are already in production in various places...

Yep .. that was me, actually its outdated and i have other priorities.
Since it seems in the last posts that people want to use it comercially i
would like to say that some financial foundation would increase its
priority dramatically (i have no regular income this time). Unless someone
else adopts the idea i will do it anyways .. but it might take some time.

> One solution to the multiple IP per vserver would be to change the
> semantic a bit. Instead of assigning one IP per vserver, we would assign
> one network device per vserver. One network interface including all its
> IP aliases. So doing a bind(0,0,0.0) would translate to handle every
> connection touching the network device. Those who have been in linux for
> a long time propably remember the old dummy device, which was used for a
> long time as the "IP aliases of the poor" until linux supports normal IP
> aliases. Well, with this idea, the dummy devices may become very
> popular, again.

binding more than one ip is often needed for Proxy-Servers,
Backside-Databases, Maintainance-Networks, Intranets which usually reside
on another nic and dummy devices are just a workaround like using
iptables/NAT currently. I dont think that the 'single-device' is a
flexible idea. My idea was that there are two (or maybe more.. but a small
static amount) of ip/mask pairs, the first ip is the default ip whcih is
used for bind(0.0.0.0) but all other ips which are match the masked ip are
bindable too. additionally a nested chbind within a vserver can be used to
constrain the ip/ranges further (i didnt tested recently if recursive
vservers work .. would be fine either).