re: Performance, memory, etc

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 15:47:41 EST

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 10:43:46 -0500, Matthew Brichacek wrote
> I was able to get 100 servers running on a machine with 511MB ram and
> dual P3 933's. After about 100 servers the machine only had about 20
> megs of RAM left, can a machine like this go higher? I am running a
> purely proof of concept test right now and each vserver is running
> apache and cron at bootup. I didn't try to get any more than 100
> vservers up since I was running out of disk space fast.

Have you setup your server unified ? 100 vservers should cost no
more than 2-3 gigs

The unification has another side effect. All libs and application are shared.
I mean, /usr/sbin/httpd and /lib/libc.so.6 are loaded only once in ram. Only
the data is different.

I have never tried this though. Since vservers have almost no overhead, the
question is how many apache can a server run ?

> Just out of curiosity, what kind of results have any of you gotten with
> running a large amount of vservers on one machine? I am not so much
> concerned about how they perform as I am about just getting some raw
> numbers about how many vservers a machine will run.

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc