Re: immutable flag

From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 09:49:38 EST

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:16:13 -0600
Isaac <Isaac_at_domainhost.com> wrote:

> I can't reach the site with the modified ext2fsprogs package that uses the
> immutable flag. Is there another place to get it?

Sorry, I seemed to have left some permissions in a not very permissive
state recently. They should be available now.

> Also, is there any plan to use reiserfs with this flag?

I'd love to, it's my FS of choice. But have you noticed this on reiserfs:

hoffman:/root# chattr +i /etc/hosts
chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on /etc/hosts
hoffman:/root#

ie, the filesystem doesn't support extended attributes at all presently.

There is a fairly difficult to follow write-up on why here:

   http://www.namesys.com/stream_ans.html

In summary, they don't seem to want to start incrementally adding things
they consider to be a hack until probably reiserfs4, due September 2002
(!).

Cheers,
Sam.