re: [vserver] Can you propergate changes from the vservers to the root server ?

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 16:28:03 EDT

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:55:27 -0500, Ivan Eriksen wrote
> Hello,
>
> I was just wondering if it's possible to propergate changes in the reference
> server to the root server with vunify ? I guess, what I am asking is :
>
> Can I do :
>
> vunify refserver /
>
> or something similar ? I apologize if this is a FAQ.

Currently vunify 0.19 support unification of the root server. It is called /

        vunify / vserver1 -- ALL

will work.

But it won't work to propagate changes. vunify only unify files owned by
the same package (name, version, release). So the package must be installed
in both vserver for unification to take place.

Further, unification is not a replacement for an update. Updating sometime means
you have to do some post-processing and this has to be done in the context of
a vserver, one vserver at a time.

vrpm was designed to repeat the same update over and over. But you have to
perform the update N time unfortunatly.

Another point. Dependencies must be checked. A vserver may have package xx
and the new version of yy needs it (but not the old). Another vserver does not
have xx, so the upgrade "must" fail. Tricking the update using vunify would
cause problems.

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc