re: [vserver] picky detail ...

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 18:48:02 EDT

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:24:36 -0500, Ian Douglas wrote
> /etc/rc.d/init.d scripts have a lot of the same options that 'vserver' has,
> start, stop, restart, etc.
>
> But what is the option 'running' not called 'status'? Doesn't seem as
> intuitive.

Well, yes and no. the running option is used to test if the server is running.

        if /usr/sbin/vserver xxx running
        then
                do something
        else
                do something else
        fi

As such, the output is limited and the return code is useful. status on the other
end is not intuitivly testable. It just reports something useful (or not).

So we need both :-)

I just add it. The status option will tell you

        if the vserver is running
        how many processes running
        its uptime (started since ?)

This will be in the next release this week.

Thanks!

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc