RE: [vserver] vserver basics - virtual web hosting

From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 19:18:55 EDT

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Ian Douglas wrote:

> > The v_ services, does, as far as i understand, the same as the
> > other, except it starts the service inside a vserver. You could do
> > a vserver enter.

Sorry not so.

> So the main server should just run "httpd" and the others shoudl run
> "v_httpd" ?

The main server should run v_httpd and the vservers run httpd - that is if
my memory and logic are correct. And actually the main server will call
httpd but bind the IP address (whatever that really means :-) using
chbind.

Then moving onto another topic though it's kind-of related. I've just
finished a first pass at making the v_* scripts more tolerant when first
installed. Basically you can switch off httpd, sendmail, smb, sshd, and
xinetd and turn on the v_ version. If there is a 'ctx' kernel running
then it does the vserver thing. If the 'ctx' isn't running then it does
the normal thing. Really nice while experimenting and learning IMHO.

Rod