[vserver] Issues with RPM scripts ...

From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 14:06:01 EDT

hi everyone!

I encountered this problem by mere accident, as
I upgraded some apache modules on my vservers,
and the upgrade didn't reload the apache config,
but instead restarted the apache server on the
real machine ...

vrpm (the script) executes

 rpm --root /vservers/<server> <arguments> ...

which is perfect for packages without pre/post
install/uninstall scripts interacting with
running processes, and/or requiring more than
a chrooted environment, but results in strange
effects otherwise ...

for example: executing 'killall -USR1 httpd'
will for sure do a graceful restart of apache,
but not for the apache within the vserver *G*

one solution to this problem could be:

- copy the rpm to /vservers/tmp/<rpm-package>
- call vserver <server> exec rpm <arguments>

(this is what I usually do)

I think a better (read: more practical) solution
could be to enter the virtual server context,
reduce the capabilities, but stay within the current
filesystem (no chroot), and then call the main
rpm with the --root option ...

please share your experiences, ideas and thoughts
concerning this issue ...

best,
Herbert

PS: thanxs for vserver to everyone involved.