Re: [vserver] Cyclades multi-port board for vserver

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 19:01:07 EDT

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 06:44:16 -0500, Roderick A. Anderson wrote

> > Yup, or even leave them in both since they're not going to be used in the
> > host server.
>
> This makes a little sense to me. What about mgetty stuff. Typically it
> is in inittab and /etc and /etc/ppp. Is the vserver inittab read and
> used?

Yes inittab fully works, but you need to specify the special flag fakeinit.
This tells the vserver utility to start the vserver, not by running directly
the various service, but simply by starting /sbin/init.

This is not the default (you have to enter fakeinit in the S_FLAGS line
of the configuration file). This is not the default because

-starting a vserver is less pretty. Normally, starting a vserver shows all
  the services starting and when done, you are back to the prompt.
  With fakeinit, /sbin/init is started and it never exits. So you don't
  know if all the services really started. Call this a visual flaw.

-The /etc/inittab file has to be adjust to remove useless stuff (from
  a vserver perpective). Normally all tty stuff have to go and the sysinit
  stuff as well.

But the mgetty stuff will certainly work. You can even change runlevel
using telinit if you want. Each vserver has a private /sbin/init.

the option is called fakeinit because /sbin/init behave differently if its
process ID is not 1. So fakeinit fakes this and a normal /sbin/init believes it.

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc