[vserver] IP address binding

From: John Lyons (support_at_nsnoc.com)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 17:28:27 EDT

I'm not sure if the problems I'm having are just normal redhat network setup
problems or whether there is something vserver related that's causing the
problems.

I've configured a second network card on the host server so that I can run
backups over a private IP address range network rather than via the public
switches. I've got the same setup on host servers that don't run vserver and
everything seems fine.

Whatever IP address that I ping or connect to from the host server it always
comes from the base IP for the host server as configured using eth0. ie if
I ping 127.0.0.1 or 10.10.10.1 the 'pinging from' address is always the
public IP address of the host server rather than being from 127.0.0.1 and
10.10.10.10 as it is on the other servers.

When I connect to the private ip of the backup server it sees the connection
as coming from a public IP rather than the private IP address of eth1 which
is where the connection should be flowing over.

Is this a side effect of the vserver and is there any way to stop it?
(my bandwidth costs are taken from the public switches so I can't backup via
that!)

Regards

John Lyons
DomainCity