[vserver] basic questions about vserver

From: Ian Douglas (linux_at_wild98.com)
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 19:11:59 EDT

Hey all.

I've been subscribed to the list for a few months now, lurking as it were. I
went to the vserver web site today and have a few quick questions I'm hoping
someone can answer.

1. Is there a recommended brand and version of Linux to use with vserver? I
understand that vserver requires kernel 2.4 and has a 2.4.18 patch available
with the download, but curious to know about success with RedHat vs SuSE vs
Debian vs FreeBSD. Current target is RedHat 7.3, but have a version of
Debian handy and have FreeBSD around here somewhere...

2. What is the recommendedation about hard drive setup? Should each vserver
be given its own partition? How large should that partition be? If all
vservers can be put on one large drive, say, a 60GB drive, is there any way
to approximate how much disk space will be needed for say 100 vservers?

3. (related to #2) Does each vserver have a full and complete installation
of Linux on it, or are utilities/applications shared between vservers?

4. How does vserver work with virtual web hosting with sharing IP addresses?
If I wanted each domain I host to be its own vserver, does each of them have
to have their own IP address, or can multiple vservers be on the same IP?
How would I configure Apache on each vserver with this in mind? Or *can* I
even run Apache on each vserver if each needs to bind to port 80?

5. With regards to unique IP addresses, I currently have resellers who each
get a unique IP address, and their resale customers share their IP address
with the reseller ... should I just limit each reseller to their own vserver
then and use Apache's <VirtualHost> setup?

Thanks for any info.

-id