re: [vserver] Does anyone use vserver as failover-cluster ?

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 13:57:09 EDT

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:21:54 -0500, d m wrote
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone out there is using the vserver as
> failover-cluster (Hot-Standby, or two vservers as active-active) ?

One of our goal is to have a `any-server` backup: A server cloning many
other and being able to replace other on the fly. Our backup strategy
is using rsync and the backup machine moves that to tape. The backup
machine can be use as a failover, manually.

> Does a tool (e.g. cluster-manager) exists to set up one easily?

Note that using heartbeat for example could easily be done to toggle vservers.

> What would be best to get a useable cluster (rsyncs,drbd,coda,shared
> storage) ?

We have played with nbd (network block devices) with some success (good
performance as well), but never gone in production with that.

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc