re: [vserver] Support vserver name longer than 4 characters?

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 23:40:54 EDT

On Sun, 12 May 2002 22:41:01 -0500, Peter Kwan Chan wrote
> Hello,
> I read on the "newserver" screen that vserver name can only be 4
> characters or less. Is there any reason why there is such a restriction?
> Any plan to extend it?

The real limit is 10. I will change this in the next release. This is a mistake on
my side. Here is the story.

For every vserver, you assign an IP alias combining the network device and the name.
So for vserver abc, you get the IP alias eth0:abc. The limit in the kernel for a network
device name (alias or not) is 15 ( I think, I have not looked in the code). So if you
remove eth0:, you have 10 character for the vserver name.

The mistake came from looking at ifconfig output. ifconfig truncate the
network device name while formating, leaving only 4 characters visible.

10 should be plenty. Note that newvserver doest no enforce any limit.

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc