Re: [vserver] locking problems with samba

From: Jon Bendtsen (jon+vserver_at_silicide.dk)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 06:58:23 EDT

> > > tested with 2.4.18ctx8 and 2.4.18ctx10 and samba 2.2.1a-4 on RH7.2.
> > > Tell me if you need more information (this one is easily to reproduce).
> >
> > How ?? i can access files by 2 processes, how ever from the same machine
> > without trouble. Sometimes when i write with one file, and read another
> > file it locks up.
>
> Don't test with Linux as a client.

Well, thats all i got, i dont use windows, i dont even have a
windows cd, and i dont want to repartition just to install
windows, and test this bug. I'll test with linux if people
want that. The reason i'm not using NFS, is because it's on
a shared network, so i want the password protection.

> > > any ideas?
> >
> > yeah, dont run samba ;-0
> > At least not in a production environment. I'm the only user of my samba,
> > so i can manage when i have to reboot.
>
> That's a joke, isn't it?

Well sort of. I ment dont run samba in a vserver in a production
environment.

> I run samba for several hundreds of users for years without problems (of
> course not within a vserver), it's one of the most reliable pieces of software
> i've come across. Besides, there's just no alternative (at least none that's
> as fast, cheap and stable).
> I'm pretty sure this is a problem with file locking within the vserver, and not
> a problem with samba itself.

I think so as well, because i run a regular samba server as well, in a
production
environment, and that works fine. I seem to remember that back when i
ran userspace
nfs inside a vserver, i had the same lockup's, but i'm not 100% sure.

JonB