Re: [vserver] 2.4.18ctx-9 Kernel

From: Mike Savage (Mike.Savage_at_datastream.net)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 14:56:51 EST

I too have experienced random kernel oops as well as lockups triggered by
performing netstat against the 2.4.18-ctx9 kernel. This was using a
2.4.18-ctx9 kernel, running on a Compaq DL360...dual PIII system with 4 GB
RAM. I had compiled the kernel myself, which also included a patch from
Compaq using the latest stable driver for the Compaq smart2 array. I then
backed down to using 2.4.18-ctx8, also including the Compaq smart2 array
driver patch and the system is rock-solid so far. I am currently utilizing
two vservers, each running a copy of a J2EE application server I have been
working on which uses apache/jboss/tomcat pointing to an Oracle backend.
During my load-testing, I have been able to throw heavy workloads at both
vservers for tests lasting well over 24 hours. I am currently running a
lighter load test over this weekend to evaluate stability over a period of
several days...a load that would more closely resemble what the system would
see in production. I will post again once I have more data regarding my
extended loadtests.

On a side note, I was wondering if anyone has been working on any vserver
patches against kernel trees that are more experimental in nature, ie,
http://infolinux.de/jp8/ maintained by Jörg Prante, or
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mjc/linux-2.4/Changelog.mjc
maintained by Michael Cohen.

Thank you for your time,