re: [vserver] Multiple vservers - 1 IP.

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 14:27:38 EST

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:10:10 -0500, klavs klavsen wrote

> quote from Changelog 0.14
> >>
> This new kernel enhances set_ipv4root a bit. This is not the multi-ip
> support yet though. This kernel allows application relying on broadcast
> to work in vservers. The trick is to assigned both an IP number and a
> broadcast address to a vserver. The socket handling for UDP was modified
> a little (one line in net/ipv4/udp.c) so an incoming packet is processed
> if it matched the vserver IP or the vserver broadcast address.
> <<
>
> How much would have to be added to add a recognition of a certain port
> on the "root" servers ip-address - so I f.ex. could run my proftpd under
> a vserver (with a 10.x.x.x IP) and then assign port 21 on the root
> server(which would be the only one with a RFC1918 -valid IP) to this
> vserver (so that packages were forwarded)?

Not sure I understand your question. You want to run proftpd in a vserver
but you want incoming ftp connection made to the public IP of the server
to be redirect to the vserver running proftpd

There are two solution I know to this problem

1-Assign the IPROOT of the vserver to the public IP of the machine. Several vservers
    may share the same IP. For sure, if one binds a service, the other can't. But I guess
    your interest here is to use the vserver as a isolution mechanism.

2-Use the redir package at ftp.solucorp.qc.ca/pub/misc. It support ftp redirection,
    both passive and active sessions.

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc