re: [vserver] ext2/ext3 question

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 10:25:28 EST

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:13:20 -0500, Mihai RUSU wrote
> Hi
>
> While patching ctx8 against 2.4.17 I have noticed that it does patch some
> files in the fs/ext2 and fs/ext3 directories:
> patching file linux-2.4.17/fs/ext2/ialloc.c
> patching file linux-2.4.17/fs/ext2/inode.c
> patching file linux-2.4.17/fs/ext2/ioctl.c
> patching file linux-2.4.17/fs/ext3/ialloc.c
> patching file linux-2.4.17/fs/ext3/inode.c
> patching file linux-2.4.17/fs/ext3/ioctl.c
>
> What is this for? If I use some other fs I miss some vserver features?

This is used for unification. The patch in ext2 and ext3 are used to map
the generic immutable-unlink bit to the file system extended attribute.
Each file system may encode those generic attribute in a different way.

So using vserver on another fs is no problem, unless you are trying to
unify (share common binaries between vserver to save disk space)

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc