Re: [vserver] memory

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 21:52:45 EST

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 22:01:39 -0500, edward_at_paradigm4.com.au wrote
> On Friday, 8 February 2002 at 10:20, Jonas Björklund wrote:
>
> > I have a question, is it possbile to limit the memory for each vserver?
>
> Not directly atm ( work in progress )
> but you can limit the number of processes in each vserver ( NPROC parameter )
> and you can limit the memory that a single vserver process can have
>
> e.g.
>
> # limit RSS, DSS of a single process to 8MB and VM size of a process to 16MB
> ulimit -m 8192 -d 8192 -v 16384
> # you can also limit the stack size
> ulimit -s 8192
> # and the max. amount of "locked" memory ( not allowed to be swapped out )
> ulimit -l 8192
> # start your vserver
> vserver start ...
>
> adjust the values as you see fit.

Note that you can configure that in the per-vserver configuration file
(/etc/vservers/*.conf). There is the ULIMIT line

ULIMIT="-m 8192 -d 8192 -v 16384"

and it will be used anytime to start the vserver. You can also use the S_NICE
entry to control the nice level of every process in a vserver (the ceiling in fact
since a process may request to be even nicer (less priority)).

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc