Re: Ethernet binding problems

From: Martin Josefsson (gandalf_at_wlug.westbo.se)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 15:41:30 EST

On 31 Jan 2002, Matthew Brichacek wrote:

> Hello, I have been using vserver for a few days to set up a test lab.
> The servers themselves are running fine, however I am getting some very
> erratic behavior out of the ethernet. When I reboot and bond all the
> servers to myri0 it will only bond 5 (sometimes), the other 5 I can
> enter by hand (sometimes) other times I get the errors:
>
> ifconfig myri0:10 192.168.1.210 up
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
>
> i will get the same errors with eth0 and eth1 also. Am i reaching a
> limitation in the TCP/IP stack? It doesn't seem like it since I can
> still add them by hand when the machine feels like letting me. Is there

It should certainly not be a kernel limitation, as it's possible to
add ~60.000 aliases to a network device without the vserver patch (I got
bored after that because ifconfig is quite slow with that many interfaces
so my script ran quite slowly. I usually use ip from the iproute2 package
to add the ipaddresses directly to the interface instead of creating an
alias.)

/Martin

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.