re: Kickstart install in a vserver

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 16:00:19 EST

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 20:19:35 -0500, Dave Cost wrote
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list so I apologize if this is a faq (hmm is there a list
> archive somewhere?).
>
> I'm wondering if it's possible to install a complete linux distribution in a
> vserver. I mean an automated install like the redhat's kickstart or maybe by
> just using the vrpm utility to install all the packages ?
>
> Any ideas?

You probably can do it like this

        mkdir -p /vservers/new
        mkdir -p /vservers/new/var/lib/rpm
        rpm --root /vservers/new --initdb
        rpm --root /vservers/new -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/*i386.rpm \
                /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/*noarch.rpm

The i386 rpm is there to avoid the conflict between the various processor
optimised kernel version supplied by redhat. Note that the kernel package
is not need in the vserver.

A vserver is mostly hardware independant, so most part of a normal redhat
installation (hardware probing, partitioning etc are not needed.

All you need to make the vserver installation complete is a /etc/vserver/new.conf
file (copy one you already have), then enter the vserver and turn off
all services and keep only the one you need.

I just did it on my workstation. Took 750 seconds to complete. It installed
1.5 gig of stuff. 2-3 errors were reported. Nothing to worry I think.

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc