Re: grub vs lilo problem

From: ncw_at_axis.demon.co.uk
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 05:31:08 EST

gil_at_vidals.net wrote:
> I am attempting to test Solucorp VS solution. However,
> I experienced the following error after downloading
> and installing the patched vmlinuz kernel 2.4.17ctx-5
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2 or 08:02

This is probably because you've compiled scsi as a module not in the
kernel. Either recompile saying Y to scsi / ext3 rather than M or
make an initial ram disk (this is the 'RedHat way').

You make an initial RAM disc with

  mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.17ctx-5 2.4.17ctx-5

Then adjust your grub.conf thus

> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.17ctx-5)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.17ctx-5 ro root=/dev/sda2

Add this line here :-

          initrd /initrd-2.4.17ctx-5

--
Nick Craig-Wood