re: Mergemem

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 16:28:45 EST

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:32:11 -0500, Nick Craig-Wood wrote
> Have any of you guys seen Mergem?
>
> http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/ulrich/mergemem/
>
> Basically it scans memory looking for identical pages then merges them
> marking the merged page as copy on write.

This is not only useful for vservers. it is also useful for application servers
driving X terminals. Memory is so cheap these days...

If I remember correctly, the author was claiming that every bash shell
you start pretty much initialise 400k of memory to the exact same content,
so the mergemem feature can save a lot.

Oddly, the gain you may get is not simply memory saving. You may end up with
speed as well, since you might more efficiently use the cache (L2).

So much project, so little time...

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc