re: vunify bug?

From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 14:25:30 EST

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:32:35 -0500, Konstantin Starodubtsev wrote
> I think there is a bug with applying/removing immutable attribute for files
> in the unified vserver. Currently the script tries to set attribute on
> files in the reference vserver
> chattr +i /vservers/$ref/$file
> ^^^ I think $serv should be here.

No. Well, it does not matter. Once unified, this is the same file after all. So
using $ref or $serv points to the same inode.

I will release a new version of vunify, this time written in C++. It does more
checks. For example, it checks that the same package version is installed in
both ref and vserver.

Using the new immutable-linkage bit from Sam, it will be possible to
unify every package in a vserver and yet, allow the vserver administrator
to update package normally. A complete vserver normally using 2GIG of
package should now use something like 50 megs.

I will release a patch over 2.4.13 and a new vserver package probably
at the end of the week.

Jacques Gelinas <jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca>
vserver: run general purpose virtual servers on one box, full speed!
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc